An alcoholic beverage is a drink that contains ethanol, a type of alcohol that acts as a drug and is produced by fermentation of grains, fruits, or other sources of sugar. The consumption of alcoholic drinks, often referred to as “drinking”, plays an important social role in many cultures.
4 Things You Should Know About Alcohol Test in Blood
However, in large amount, alcohol makes it harder for the brain areas controlling balance, memory, speech, and judgment to do their jobs, resulting in a higher likelihood of injuries and other negative outcomes, not only to yourself but also to others, especially when driving.
If you are being pulled over by the police while being drunk, they will do a blood alcohol test. So, lets find out 4 things you should know about alcohol test in blood.
1. It Imposes No Health Risk
Some people claim that there will be a health risk whenever you participate in blood alcohol test when actually they are just scared of needles. Alcohol test in blood can be shown only after you perform a needle insertion to a vein in your arm. The least that you will feel is just the slight pain at the injection spot, nothing else.
You don’t have to worry about contracting any transmitted diseases because the doctors will always use sterile and disposable needle for each patients.
Alcohol Breathalizer is another device that can be used to check your alcohol level without the need to withdraw any blood from your vein and commonly use by law enforcer to detect alcoholic drivers. It is usually safe and easy to conduct. If you wondering what is is, you may learn about breathalyzer.
2. Used For Monitoring The Alcohol Levels
Alcohol test in blood is mainly done in order to determine the alcohol levels of the patient. It is commonly used to identify drunk drivers. Other than that, it is also used to confirm alcohol poisoning and for random inspection of worker and ship crews.
Despite the reason of the test, the fact remains that doctors are able to determine how much percentage of blood alcohol content (BAC) that the patient has in their body. It may be use for legal or medical reason.
3. Accurate Within The Timeframe
A human body will try to metabolise any food or drinks that goes into your body, however the rate of the metabolising process may differ based on your weight, height, gender and body composition.
Alcohol test in blood can only yield accurate results if you take a blood test within 6 hours in general after your last drink. If it is longer than that, then the alcohol test in blood result may not be accurate as your alcohol have been metabolised by your liver.
4. It has 4 Categories Of Test Results
For your information, there are four different levels of result whenever you perform an alcohol test in blood. Those four type of results is shown as per below:
- Sober – For this category, you have no trace of alcohol content in your body. The result will yield as 0.0 percent BAC.
- Legally Intoxicated – If you are clumped in this category after performing a blood test, then you should not worry about being pulled down by an officer if you are drunk while driving. The result should be around 0.08 percent BAC.
- Very Impaired – With a reading between 0.08 to 0.40 percent BAC, you will have the typical sypmtoms of nausea, difficulty in walking and speaking properly, as well as drowsiness.
- At Risk For Serious Complications – If the result is above 0.40 percent BAC, then you should reassess yourself and get the right treatment to reduce or stop drinking alcohol entirely as this blood alcohol level may cause you to be in a coma or worse; death.
This concludes the 4 things that you should know about blood alcohol test. If you want to buy medical equipments or an alcohol device such as the breathalyser or contact us.